When looking to buy a condominium, one of the most important factors (besides location) is to choose a high rise or low rise development.
High rise buildings typically offer nicer view from the higher floors. Lowrise developments sometimes have more of a townhouse feel.
When searching for a condo it is best to look at various layouts to get a feel for what will be best for you.
Below is a list of Pros and Cons of High rise versus Low rise condos.
The Pros of High Rise:
- Offers amenities such as swimming pool, gym, tennis court, etc
- May offer service/utilities such as a convenience store and laundry (may be located nearby or within the building)
- Will have different unit layout types available
- Will normally have concierges or doormen
- Located closer to the city or in the city itself
- Offers car park
- Adequate security and maintenance
- Nice view from higher floors
The Pros of Low Rise:
- Nearer to the street
- Less elevator time
- Often built in residential areas
- Offers more privacy
- Owning pets would be more convenient
- Cheaper than high-rise, prices are often negotiable
The Cons of High Rise:
- More expensive
- More noisy since it is typically located in the busy parts of the city, and neighbour units are closer
- Less privacy since more people stay in the same building
- Poor air quality since it is usually located in more crowded place
More residents, so taking the elevator may take a bit more time especially during peak hours
The Cons of Low Rise:
- Fewer amenities
- Less luxurious than high-rise
- May be far from the city
- Might not have elevators because of fewer floors